CIP Code - 460302
The mission of the Technical Diploma in Electrician studies is to provide a basic core of specialized instruction and practical shop experience to prepare students for employment in electrical trades. Students who complete the basic core may choose any of the specialty areas to complete the requirements to earn a diploma in that area.
The Technical Diploma in Electrician studies generally prepares individuals to install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair electrical devices, components, and equipment that are utilized in residential and commercial electrical systems. All program specialties emphasize safe and efficient work practices, basic occupational skills, and are organized into competency-based courses that specify occupational competencies, which the student must successfully complete. Each area includes a study of all applicable codes and standards, blueprint reading, wiring diagrams, and installations which are appropriate to the area. All work is performed with an emphasis on shop and work safety.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Electrician program will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of OSHA regulations and electrical safety practices.
- demonstrate the use of meters and test equipment.
- identify and tools, materials, and components.
- demonstrate knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
- interpret electrical blueprints.
- demonstrate knowledge of DC electricity, AC electricity, magnetic theory, and circuit theorems.
- install residential and industrial wiring.
- demonstrate knowledge of transformers and motors.
- demonstrate knowledge of motor controls and PLCs.
Click here for Gainful Employment information.