CIP Code - 450201
The mission of the Technical Diploma in Carpentry is to prepare individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to layout, fabricate, erect, install, and repair wooden structures and fixtures using hand and power tools. The program also includes instruction in areas such as common systems of framing, construction materials, estimating, blueprint reading, and finish carpentry techniques.
The Technical Diploma in Carpentry is a one-year technical program designed to prepare individuals for the construction industry through the development of personal professional areas, specifically placing emphasis upon professional work habits expected of employees in this specific industry.
Graduates of the Louisiana Delta Community College Carpentry program will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of, safety and health procedures, safe operation of hand and power tools, materials handling and maintaining a safe working environment.
- apply technical math skills as it relates to the construction industry.
- exhibit the ability to read and interpret house plans.
- demonstrate and use of transits, levels and other measuring devises to lay out a building site and erect batter boards.
- demonstrate the skills needed to build forms for patios, sidewalks, and house slabs.
- demonstrate the skills needed for framing walls and ceilings.
- demonstrate layout and framing skills used in basic and more complex roof design.
- apply various interior and exterior finishes, materials, and trim.
- demonstrate basic cabinetmaking skills to include face frames, drawers, and doors.
Click here for Gainful Employment information.